Friday, July 10, 2009

The essential cake components

Today I'm showing you the basic building blocks of a really good cake. It's not just the spongey goodnes but also the filling, frosting and decoration! Here are images of a deep, rich, decadent ganache - made of chopped, melted bittersweet chocolate and heavy cream. That's it! once it cools it become spreadable like frosting. I use ganache to fill my chocolate cakes - just like you would find in a truffle. Next comes the frosting. I'm very particular about this - I never use shortening! Always butter. The best I can find. My favorite frosting has white chocolate, cream cheese and butter - no confectioners sugar! I use it on my very special cakes or on cakes in the hot days of summer - the white chocolate really holds up well. Next we have decorations. I'm a big fan of melted white chocolate. I can draw anything with it and then infill with any color that suits the design. Here is an example of the chocolate dyed blue and drawn very free-hand into multiple "doo-dads". These components were all used in the Dark Chocolate Wedding Cake earlier in my postings.

No comments:

Post a Comment