Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Bowling Themed Cake

This cake was for the 75th birthday of a woman who spends four days a week bowling.  If you aren't from New England you have perhaps never heard of Candlepin Bowling.  Candlepins are different from your regular bowling pins - they don't have the boulbous bottoms.   Plus the balls that are used are much smaller (and lighter!) than the typical three finger balls.  Anyway, I thought a '50's retro theme would be fun.


I always start with sketches.  This way I can be sure I've covered all the details.


I spent an evening watching the season finale of "Justified' (LOVE Timothy Olyphant!) and rolling out these individual Candlepins from white fondant!


For the decorations I chose retro signage from 1950's bowling alleys.


 Mini fondant bowling balls decorated the cake's base:


No comments:

Post a Comment